Saturday, June 23, 2007

Notes from the Road: Destination Wahoo, NE

I left for Nebraska on my 24th birthday around 5:30 pm. Eastern Colorado is rolling, and smells alot like manure, whichs makes sense since there were cows everywhere. As the sun set on the waving fields of grasses, the most interesting colors were made. To the north, the fields shone like a combination of silver and gold, sometimes they looked white. A few hours later I was headed for big storm clouds, but in the rearview mirror I could still see light in the west. The setting sun shone like an ember in the clouds, and had it not been behind me, I would have stared at it intil it completly dissappeared behind the horizon. The next event was the lighting storm to the northeast. I figured that I'd drive into the storm, but I never did. The lightning was fabulous.
When I crossed the Nebraska border, I noticed the distinct smell of raw sewage. I'm not sure where exactly the odor was eminating from, as all I saw was fields and trees. Also upon crossing the border, I was informed by a sign that Nebraska was the founding place of the arbor foundation. I was only driving to North Platte that night, and it was dark so I was lookoing hard at the highway signs to find my exit. For quite awhile, it looked like there was a Dr. Suess character on all of the highway signs- orange body with a yellow fro- think treasure trollish. Either later that night or the next day, I realized that the picture on the signs was a guy on a horse with a giant yellow sun behind him. It struck me as funny when I figured out what it was.

The drive from North Platte to Wahoo was uneventful, and I don't remember much from it.

There was a great little sandwhich hut near the hotel- I ate there everyday for lunch.

I found out that Wahoo was the largest manufactuerer of bombs during WWII. Apparently there were several mile long buildings that housed the bomb making activities. Those buildings are all gone now, replaced by fields of crops.

The drive back was uneventful, but enjoyable. I listened to the XM radio comedy station quite a bit

Notes from another state will find their way here the next time I drive to a job!


~blessed be~
~~~m~~~

5 comments:

Some old bee-yatch said...

I laughed at your comment about the Dr. Seuss signs. That's funny. Sounded like a beautiful trip! Maybe the sewage smell was sprayed on the grass or something? I know when I worked in Los Alamos, they sprayed the baseball fields with the sewage from the plant nearby. eeewww...but oh, so lovely and green!

Zay said...

xm radio...cool!

Chrissy said...

yes! marcy has a blog! my life is complete!

seriously, i keep in touch with people way better when they have blogs. it's an addiction. looking forward to reading more of your adventures (though they make me miss you even more!).

xo

KB said...

I was just reading about Nebraska ... actually I was looking at photos in a magazine.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.