Monday, July 28, 2008

Ancestors

During the NH job, I started doing genealogy research. I am addicted.
I never knew much about my ancestors at all, not even my grandpa on my dad's side. All I knew is that he died 4 days after I was born and that he could be mean.
I have traced my ancestry back to the late 1550's/early 1600's to Eiserfeld, Siegen, Germany. I don't know much about those early ancestors, but I'm finding out little things about the more recent ones, like my great grandfather owned a little store across from a methodist church and he played the organ.
My great great grandfather was a highly respected farmer.
My great great great grandfather was a pioneer of Jefferson County, Illinois.
My great great great great grandfather I don't know much about, but my great grandfather x5 served in the revolutionary war. He supposedly came to the US from Germany around 1767....I'm still trying to figure out his story.

I never thought about my ancestors much before, but now they are a passion. I'd like to find out more little stories about them. My dad and uncles and I are in the midst of trying to locate the family bible, it holds a ton of info, and probably the little stories I want to hear.

I'm starting to babble....must go to sleep!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's super cool!

My mom's dad's family all came over from Germany too. Maybe they were together at some point :)

Here's to Germany!!

Bobbie

Rockette79 said...

Look! I can comment on your blog! Are you still going to Germany this month? You must visit Stonecipher Haus, ya, ya.

Marcy said...

B- It's possible! Most Germans ended up in Pennsylvania at one point in Germantown. Pretty descriptive name, huh?

P- I'm not sure when we're going to Germany any more....we may end up going in September.