Saturday, November 22, 2008

Ramblings on Eczema and Candida and self-healing

For the past 2 1/2 years, I thought I had psoriasis. I've been seeing a new holistic doctor and I was showing him my 'psoriasis' spots and he told me they looked more like eczema spots. I was told by a dermatologist in Nacogdoches that psoriasis is what I had.
The main difference in the two skin conditions is that eczema occurs on the insides of joints like elbows and knees, and in skin folds. Psoriasis occurs mostly on the outside of the joints and is more scaly.
Anyway, I figured out a while back the eating dairy exacerbates my skin condition so I pretty much stopped eating it. I also discovered not drinking enough water will also exacerbate my skin condition.

Recently, I switched from rice milk to soy milk, and my skin condition got worse. I confirmed with my holistic doctor that I was allergic to soy and have not had much soy for about a week. Normally, this would be enough time for my little red spots to start fading, but this is not the case.

I know from several gyno visits that I normally have some amount of yeast 'down there', and the gyno keeps telling me it's normal.

(There is a point coming I promise)

My boss is prone to Candida overgrowth and follows a special diet to combat the overgrowth, we've talked about it a few times.

So last night, I originally started researching Candida overgrowth to see what sypmtoms there were. During my research I found out that Candida overgrowth and skin conditions like eczema and psoiasis are related.

I have been eating more sugars and carbs lately, which is what candida thrives on. I'm assuming this is the reason why my spots aren't going away.

In order to kill off the excess Candida (you do need some in your intestines!) I need stop eating carbs and sugars and dairy. Dairy wont be a problem, I do that anyway. Sugar wont be so much of a problem, I try not to eat too much sugar because of my hypoglycemia anyway. Carbs will be a problem. I pretty much don't eat bread anymore, but I really like rice and pasta and cereal and oatmeal.

I know that you can be addicted to carbs and sugar, and I know that if I dont eat carbs or sugar for about a week I'll be fine and I probably wont have strong cravings anymore.

After the excess Candida is killed off, you can start reintroducing small amounts of carbs back into your diet, which I'm excited about.


After all that rambling, the point is that I found a connection between my Eczema and Candida overgrowth, and that I can treat myself by eating better. I will not put a 'band-aid' on my condition and use steroid creams or other icky drugs. I can heal myself naturally!

5 comments:

Some old bee-yatch said...

Yes, you can :) Have you tried Hemp Milk? It's delicious and nutritious. Have you seen an Ayuverdic doctor? They really help you with your eating habits as well and match it to your body "type" and other things. I highly recommend it if you haven't looked into it.

Let us know how you are doing! Hope you are healing and doing it naturally :)

xxoo

Chrissy said...

i have been reading this book called the thrive diet, that is vegan and super healthy. i think i might adopt parts of it for my diet, but you should check it out and see if any of the recipes look good to you. i think it falls into the parameters of your healing diet.

and yay for holistic health!

Marcy said...

Thank you both for the suggestions! I will look into them ASAP.

Some old bee-yatch said...

How was the camping trip with Pat Rice???

Nate said...

Hey Marcy!

I love your blog! I hope you are having a nice trip home with your family.

Call me when you get back - let's get together soon!

By the way, I loved that you mentioned that you can heal yourself... :) Isn't it amazing what our bodies can do?

-Angie :)