Saturday, September 22, 2007

Notes from the Road: Oklahoma



Picture of me driving through Kansas


Lets see....I left Loveland around 4 pm last Tuesday to start my drive to Oklahoma. I stopped in Hayes, Kansas that night. In the morning, I went to the Village Inn across the seat where it took nearly 10 minutes to be seated in a half empty resturant. The service was slow too, so as I sat there waiting for my food I was listening absently to the family behind me. It struck me as funny when the young boy asked "Dad- what's corn beef hash?"
and the dad replied "uh- that's something they eat in the south"
I was very amused by this.

Later that morning I passed through Ellsworth, Kansas. There's nothing really to note about the city except for that there is a Rascal Flats song called Ellsworth about Ellsworth, Kansas. I had the CD in so I played the song as I drove past.
Speaking of Rascal Flats, there is a song with this chorus:

'Cause when push comes to shove
You taste what your made of

You might bend 'til you break
'Cause it's all you can take
On your knees you look up
Decide you've had enough
You get mad, you get strong
Wipe you hands, shake it off
Then you stand, then you stand

For whatever reason, when the part about tasting what your made of played, I thought to myself, "why, I suppose I taste like skin.....or lotion"

It's a long boring drive- I get to be wierd.

hmmmm...I got to see OSU's Geology computer lab, which is awesome! They have 3D screens, and giant touch interactive screens and all sorts of fun toys! It was cool.

They day we worked was a 17.5 hour day. Luckily it went smoothly for the most part.

The funniest part of that day was a guy in a pick up truck asking " HEY! are y'all looking for worms?!"

Apparently, it is possible to herd worms with electricity...I guess our resistivity equipment looked like worm herding equipment?

As I turned to walk away from the guy, he said " hey, whats that pouch you have on your back, some water thing?"
I said it was a camel back
he then said he should get one and fill it with beer
It was freaking hilarious.

The ride back was pretty uneventful.
I got in this afternoon around 4pm.

I noticed the fee-rats were nearly out of treats, so I HAD to go get them some more.

Then I HAD to go to REI to get a decent atlas for the work truck. While I was there I HAD to get a bike rack for the Jeep! I plan on attaching my new bike rack and trying it out in the morning- WOO HOOOOOOO! It's going to be so much better than trying to cram my bike in the back of the Jeep- I only did it once- but it SUCKED.

That's all for now!

1 comment:

Some old bee-yatch said...

I remember when I worked in Kansas last year, there was a man driving around to all of us field people shouting, "Bush is the Devil!"

It was hilarious!

Glad you are meeting interesting people and finding the funny side of life :)

18 hour days suck.....sometimes.